established in 1654
The church came into being in 1654 when a group of believers from the Crosthwaite Church of England formed themselves into an independent evangelical church. They suffered persecution in the early years, having to meet in secret away from the town for a while. Subsequently, they were able once more to worship in Keswick, using several different properties before moving to the present site, where the chapel was rebuilt in 1803 and totally replaced in 1858. The history of the church has been one of rises and falls, both numerically and spiritually, but the Lord is gracious and the ministry and life of the church is firmly grounded in the precious truths of the Word of God.
Pastor: James Devenish
Secretary: Philip Helm
Treasurer: Andrew Murray
As a church we are united in centring our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as our only Saviour, in the infallibility, inerrancy and sufficiency of the word of God for all matters of faith and practice, and in recognising the importance of preaching its precious truths as a central part of our worship.
Our numbers are augmented most weeks by visitors from all over the UK and around the world, from as few as 2 or 3 in the winter to 60 or more in the summer, and many more than that during the 3 weeks of the Keswick Convention in late July and early August so, while our core fellowship may be few in number, we seek to be a warm and welcoming fellowship and minister to our many visitors throughout the year.
While we do not belong to Churches Together, we enjoy and actively promote fellowship with other Bible-believing churches in the area in a spirit of true Biblical Christian unity.
We read from the English Standard Version of the Bible.
We are affiliated to the Evangelical Fellowship of Congregational Churches, a fellowship of about 110 independent churches in the United Kingdom.
EFCC Website: www.efcc.org.uk